Ship’s binnacle,19th century
This binnacle, which housed the ship’s compass, was used on board the two-masted brigantine ‘Lady of Avenel’, built in 1874. The base, which is made of brass and in the shape of three dolphins, is believed to have come from a 17th century Dutch East Indiaman trading ship. Cargoes carried by the ‘Lady of Avenel’ included cod from Newfoundland, fruit from the Azores, mahogany from Brazil and iron ore from Spain. She spent her last years in Holes Bay, Poole, before being dismantled in the 1950s.